Medical Malpractice Attorney in League City, TX
What Does a Medical Malpractice Attorney in League City, TX Do?
A medical malpractice attorney in League City, TX specializes in cases that involve improper medical care, harmful medical care, or failure to act in a medical situation (i.e., failure to diagnose, or failure to properly treat a medical condition). Medical malpractice attorneys represent those who are victims of medical errors, improper or harmful medical care, or failure to diagnose or treat.
Medical malpractice is one of the most complex areas of law. For a successful medical malpractice lawsuit, you must have suffered an illness or injury that arose or worsened due to negligent medical treatment. In other words, you must be able to show that your condition was directly related to your medical care—or lack of medical care. Unfortunately, medical malpractice is much more common than you might think, although many people who are harmed by a medical error or omission will not file a medical malpractice lawsuit.
In some cases, a person was harmed to the extent that their health simply won’t allow them to take part in a medical malpractice lawsuit. In other cases, a patient may believe the healthcare provider who tells them their current injuries were caused by something other than medical malpractice. Medical error is a big deal, however, as it is currently the third leading cause of death in the United States, following cancer and cardiovascular issues. According to Justpoint, about 85,000 medical malpractice claims are filed each year, and nearly a quarter of all American adults reported having suffered from a medical error.
Medical errors can cause lasting effects on a person’s physical and emotional health, financial well-being, and family relationships. If you have suffered an injury or harm due to medical malpractice, it can be extremely beneficial to speak to a medical malpractice attorney in League City, TX, from The Brothers Law Firm. Attorney Johns Brothers can address your situation with experience, knowledge, skill, and compassion and will be the advocate you need during this difficult time.
How Does Medical Malpractice Differ from Negligence?
If your medical provider’s actions or lack of action fails to meet the accepted medical standard of care, their behavior can be considered medical negligence. If this medical negligence causes you to suffer injury or harm, it rises to the level of medical malpractice.
What Are the Most Common Types of Medical Malpractice?
There are many different types of medical malpractice, however, the most common types of medical malpractice are:
- Failure to accurately diagnose a medical issue. This is probably the most common form of medical malpractice. When you go to your doctor and tell them your symptoms, you expect them to take the time to determine what’s wrong with you. If a doctor tells you repeatedly that you are “fine,” then months down the road you find you have a form of cancer that might have been treatable if caught early, this is failure to diagnose and is considered medical malpractice. In this type of situation, you must be able to show that your condition had a worse outcome than if your doctor had diagnosed you correctly when you first voiced concerns.
- Improper use of anesthetic can cause many issues, some of them very serious. Virtually every surgical procedure involves anesthesia. If an insufficient amount is administered, you could end up semi-conscious during surgery, or if too much is administered you could suffer one or more of the following:
- Prolonged nausea and vomiting
- Respiratory distress
- Mental or physical impairment
- Brain injury
- Surgical errors are, unfortunately, all too common, although operations on wrong body parts have decreased since new procedures have been implemented in almost all hospitals and clinics that check the procedure against the patient multiple times. Today, the most common surgical errors involve surgical items like sponges left inside a patient’s body.
Prescription drug mistakes are also high on the list of negligence that can lead to a medical malpractice case. When the wrong medicine or the right medication in the wrong amount is administered, the consequences can be serious, even deadly.
- Obstetricians who deal with childbirth are among the most commonly sued doctors. When a doctor makes an error during birth, major health complications can arise for both mother and child.
How Do I Find the Right Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
Finding the best medical malpractice attorney in League City, TX is crucial to obtaining the compensation you need and deserve for your injuries. Many states have made it more difficult to sue for medical malpractice through tort reform. The state of Texas implemented tort reform in 2003 that caps non-economic damages (pain and suffering). Since most medical malpractice claims arise from very complex situations, you need a medical malpractice lawyer who is experienced, knowledgeable, highly skilled, and compassionate. Some people will ask friends, co-workers, or family members for a referral when searching for a medical malpractice lawyer.
Others will look online, searching for medical malpractice lawyers in the area who seem to be a good fit. You can also contact the Texas State Bar Association and ask about medical malpractice lawyers in your area. Most people will set up initial consultations with several medical malpractice lawyers, and then make their choice based on these meetings. Don’t be hesitant to ask the attorney if medical malpractice is his or her primary area of practice and ask about whether the attorney has handled cases similar to yours.
How a Medical Malpractice Attorney in League City, TX from The Brothers Law Firm Can Help
A medical malpractice attorney from The Brothers Law Firm can help you determine whether you have a valid claim after gathering all evidence—including medical records—identifying the potential defendants and negotiating and litigating your case. Attorney John Brothers is unwavering in his efforts to better the lives of his clients. John has a deep understanding of the issues that must be addressed and has strong relationships with highly credentialed expert witnesses across a wide range of disciplines.
These expert witnesses can make all the difference in the outcome of your medical malpractice case. John and his legal team also understand the worry, confusion, and shock that can arise following an instance of medical malpractice. Contact The Brothers Law Firm, PLLC today to arrange for a free initial consultation to discuss your medical malpractice claim.